SOCIAL MEDIA PRIVACY PARADOX
6 Easy Essential Steps to Stay Connected while Keeping Your Personal Data Safe.
In today’s hyper-connected world, social media has revolutionized how we live and interact. But amidst the excitement, a critical concern looms: the security of our personal information. As we willingly share our lives online, it’s essential to safeguard our data from prying eyes. I will help you discover the essential steps to protect your privacy in the digital age and keep your information out of the wrong hands.
Authored By, Miss. Wawira Muriithi – Information Security Consultant
While social media has undoubtedly revolutionized communication and information sharing, it has also raised valid concerns about the security of our personal information.
In our eagerness to connect and engage, we often share a wealth of personally identifiable information (PII) on these platforms, including our names, email addresses, locations, and interests. Unfortunately, this information can be exploited by advertisers or fall into the wrong hands, leading to identity theft or other malicious activities.
Understanding Personal Privacy and Information Privacy: Personal privacy encompasses the right to maintain the secrecy of one’s private affairs, discussions, beliefs, and daily activities. It includes the ability to control how personal details such as names, addresses, and phone numbers are used and disseminated. On the other hand, information privacy involves safeguarding sensitive or confidential information, like financials, health data, or legal information, from unauthorized access or disclosure. It also encompasses the right to govern the use and access of personal information online, such as browsing history, social media activity, and online transactions.
Protecting Your Personal Information on Social Media: As the use of social media platforms continues to rise, it is crucial to take proactive steps to enhance the security of the information we share. Here are practical measures to safeguard your data and maintain control over your personal information:
- Exercise Caution when Sharing Information: – Be vigilant about disclosing personal or sensitive information, such as your home address or contact details, on social media platforms. Attackers can exploit such information for tracking or impersonation purposes. Additionally, exercise caution when downloading files, opening attachments, or clicking on links from unfamiliar sources, as they may contain viruses or malware that can compromise your data.
- Review and Adjust your Privacy Settings: – Regularly review the privacy settings of your social media accounts and adjust them according to your preferences. Ensure that only trusted individuals can access and view your information.
- Ensure you Use strong passwords:– Do not use the same password for several accounts, avoid using dates of birth too, instead, use strong, unique passwords for each of your social media accounts. A good and secure password should have a minimum of 8-12 characters and be made up of a combination of letters- both upper case and lower case, numbers, and symbols. It is also good practice to change passwords every three months.
- Activate two-factor authentication: – Two-factor authentication, which most social media platforms offer, gives your account an additional layer of security. This implies that even if someone gets to get their hands on your password, they won’t be able to access your account without also getting hold of your phone or another reliable device.
- Update your devices and applications: – To reduce the chance of having vulnerabilities that can be exploited by hackers, keep your computer operating system, web browser, phone, and other software up to date with the most recent updates.
- Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN): – Consider utilizing a virtual private network (VPN) when connecting to public Wi-Fi networks in order to secure your data from hacking and other threats.
Although security cannot be completely assured due to the changing nature of technology, You can help safeguard your data and reduce the possibility of your personal information getting into the wrong hands.
Remember, security in the digital realm is an ongoing battle, as technology continues to evolve. By staying informed and implementing these practices, we can safeguard our data and reduce the chances of our personal information falling into the wrong hands. Let’s embrace the power of social media while maintaining a strong shield of privacy, ensuring that our online experiences remain positive, secure, and enjoyable. Together, we can navigate the digital landscape with confidence and protect what matters most – our personal information.